Wednesday, December 5, 2012

THE MIRROR


A mirror.
Stands in front of you
in whispered silence.
“Today is not
the day,”
they say.

The gremlins creep
from all the corners
of the wall; they sneak
inside to watch
you fret and fright
over little things.

Hobgoblins’ shadows
dance and play over
your midnight sky,
robbing you of
your own accord.
Smug, melting grins.

The faeries come
to blight your ego,
and strike whenever necessary
among the fog
surrounding you; gaping,
fleeting in harmony.

You awaken your own death.
Standing in front of
the mirror. The light glares
at you in so many ways.
The Kingdoms come to
gather your thoughts.

Has he seen but only me?
In all this time,
this wandering through,
has never the image
meant anything to you?
Swallow the guise of wealth and society!

Where do you come,
in the moonlight?
Scouring the planets for
dead like me that have
given up old ways.
Where no one can decide.

I lived, and they all came
in, poking me, teasing me,
trying to make me recede!
But, I held strong to my
inhibitions, and made sanctuary
in the glory of “I don’t care.”

And, I fell alone. Senile.
Misunderstood by my own stealth.
No creeping structures crashed
around when my own walls
came tumbling down.
There was something else.

My power and hunger,
my prayer is over.
No one fed me, or sustained.
I also fed no one, and
hated the silent whispers
always before me.

Your thinking behooves you.
The faeries return, and
laugh in your face!
What better chance for
you to wake up now,
and shatter the dream of the past?

I hear myself whisper, then,
“Today is the day,” and
I soon remember the old ways
when everybody loved, and cried,
before the world had taught each other
how to deny.

No comments:

Post a Comment